Sunday 12 December 2010

Becky's Nine Patch 12

Here are the blocks joined into a set in the quilt. I called it "Strange Horses" after a poem by Edwin Muir.
I feel this pattern with its relatively few matching seams and speed of assembly lends itself particularly to charity quiltmaking. I selected fabrics with males in mind. Not many people make teenager quilts for Linus yet they are in demand and I think boys are less well catered for than girls. Also 9" blocks arranged three sets by four finish at 54" by 72" the preferred size for Quilts of Valour in the UK and the pattern is self bordering.

Here is a quilt made for Project Linus with members of Rambling Roses quilt group. They were given a precut set centre kit and then made up their blocks from their own selection of cut pieces. There were certain rules such as no repeated fabrics and no more than one batik which caused some chafing.
Centre detail
Set detail

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

The one you showed earlier had all the horses going in the same direction. Was that harder to do?
I'll bet I would have messed up somewhere as horses aren't so easy to control.