Tuesday 31 May 2011

Book Cover

Woven silk book cover
It was Janome Club on Sunday after a 2 month gap because of the Royal Wedding. This time Cathy who so generously helps and leads us showed various ways of creating fabric. I had a little packet of deliciously coloured silks from the Silk Route and after a decade decided it was time to pluck up courage and use them. After a quilting acquaintance died prematurely leaving her lovely stash to be used by others I am trying to be the who has used up the most fabric before I pass away.
I opted to weave my strips onto bondawebbed calico, iron to seal and laid pink organza on top to contain the raw edges and machine quilt. I make the book covers the way Cathy showed us one edge at a time and adding separate end covers making for a snug fit. Then additional satin stitching all the way round.
I have three more blank notebooks  and at the moment the plan is to donate them to the tombola. The book is on top of a cupboard inmy spare bedroom and when I approach from a distance it glows. I'm pleased as although I know others make much lovelier things, Cathy for one, I always assumed 3D was beyond me.

No comments: